ABOUT MICHAEL BEATTIE
Michael Beattie is an experienced and highly innovative Structural Designer and Construction Professional who has demonstrated technical expertise in developing 3 dimension and 2 dimension for commercial and residential projects using AutoCAD, Revit Structure, and SAFE as well as other methodologies, including ETABS based on ACI code for over 20 years in Ontario Canada.
Michael is highly regarded in the construction industry in Ontario Canada as a leader, with a proven track record of producing strong results with a high degree of integrity, dedication and leadership skills. As a structure engineer, he can analyze existing condition and design as well as interpret the technicalities in a simplified manner which he has demonstrated using shear walls and braces on damaged steel structures such as 10-story Iran Custom building.
With a superior understanding of the latest trends in construction development and management, he possesses exceptional ability to mobilize and facilitate cohesive teams, interface with sub-contractors, and liaise with clients to help accomplish complex Integrated Project Delivery, leveraging his skills at pre-construction methodologies, inspections and retrofit designs, ensuring efficient and timely delivery of projects in accordance to specifications, with proven proficiency in synthesizing project details to perfectly establish scope, and team mobilization. He is well-versed in Canadian building and design codes including NBCC 2010 and Structural Commentaries, OBC 2012, S16, A23.3, OSHA, CSA W59, ACI and AISC.
He has a proven record and expertise in successful project design and construction covering sustainable design, with cost effective, impactful strategies for purchase, maintenance and management. Also, he has leveraged his expertise in dynamic seismic and vibrational analysis as well as various designing software and project management to deliver projects that have challenged the status-quo in terms of design, delivery, and cost efficiency.
Some of his technical proficiencies include ETABS, SAFE, STAAD PRO, ADAPT BUILDER, ADAPT PT, RAPT, TEDDS, S-CONCRETE as well as AUTO CAD and Microsoft office. He is also an expert in leading construction techniques and procedures and has helped to increase his company profile through strategic planning and business development endeavors resulting in opportunities for growth with new clients and projects.
As an expert in retaining structures design software DeepXcav who is conversant in Canadian and US codes, he has helped his firm penetrate the Canadian and US construction industry. He led the construction project of:
- Southcore Financial Centre, as the Construction Manager, the project comprises PwC Tower, a 650,000 SF 26-storey tower, Bremner Tower, a 700,000 SF 30-storey tower
- Delta Toronto, a next generation, 45-storey premium 4-star hotel.
- This is in addition to serving as the Construction Manager for the Art Gallery of Ontario—Transformation AGO project, a building designed by world renowned Architect Frank Gehry
- As well as serving as Construction Manager for the Oakville Hospital facility involving the construction of approximately 1.5 million SF on a 50-acre greenfield parcel of land in Oakville, Ontario. Michael Wilfrid Beattie from MBM Consulting and Investments Corporation was the one partner of the construction Joint Venture to build this hospital.
Some of his past projects in Ontario Canada
- Barrie Medical Centre (project manager and senior engineer) - 3-storey, 90,000 sqft steel structure and reinforced concrete shear walls
- Oakville complex (structural engineer) - 3-storey, 100,000 sqft Mosque, Parking and recreational centre Reinforced concrete shear walls, flat slabs, steel braced frame, composite floors
- Welland historical truss bridge (structural engineer) - Wind loading and stress control
- Wind turbine foundation (design reviewer) - Mat and pile foundations for many wind farms in Ontario with different turbine heights and various soil conditions
- Anchored sheet pile, soldier pile and caisson design (senior engineer) - Soil shoring beside existing buildings, streets and train rail tracks
- Parking garage retrofit (senior engineer) - Rehabilitation design for parking garage slabs. Design of a reinforced concrete extension for an existing parking garage structure
- Storage building strengthening (structural designer) - Rehabilitation of reinforced concrete deck of storage structure using FRP strips and steel column strengthening by encasing the columns in reinforced concrete
- Goharshad commercial and office building (senior engineer) - 24-storey steel moment frames
- Aseman commercial and public parking (project manager, senior designer and inspection supervisor) - 15-storey reinforced concrete frames and shear walls
- Kolahan hotel and commercial complex (senior designer and supervisor) - 17-storey steel moment frames
- Administrative complex of telecommunications company of khorasan province (senior designer and supervisor) - 12-storey steel simple frames and shear walls
- Vesal public parking (senior engineer) - 7-storey post-tensioned flat slabs and shear walls
- Golshan Armitaj commercial and office complex (structural design reviewer) - 35-storey steel moment frames and encased steel plate shear walls
- Salman commercial and office complex (structural design reviewer) - 18-storey steel mement frames and reinforced concrete shear walls
- Aftab commercial and parking complex (project manager and senior engineer) - 10-storey waffle slabs and reinforced concrete shear walls
- Pasargad commercial complex (senior engineer) - 6-storey reinforced concrete moment frames and shear walls
- Assessment and rehabilitation of central library of Mashhad (senior engineer and project manager) - 6-storey, Reinforced concrete shear walls added to reinforced concrete moment frame system
- Assessment and rehabilitation of Pars hotel (senior engineer and project manager) - 6-storey, Knee steel bracing added to the existing reinforced concrete frame system
- Assessment and Retrofit of Ghouchan arch bridge (structural engineer)
- Institute of Child study expansion at University of Toronto, Caisson and Soldier Pile design (project manager and senior engineer)
- Winfields Farm Drive Culvert Bridge, Oshawa, ON (Senior Engineer) – 15 meter wide precast concrete culvert bridge spanning 33m. Complex projects for residential and commercial concrete multi-story buildings including podium floors and parking from concept design stage to construction stage:
- Solved structural problem with beams related to span -saving re-design and time to completion of structure
- Delivered the design and detailing drawings of steel structural elements canopies, and trusses for main structure of the buildings.
- Designed and prepared the required structural documents for preliminary stage and delivered construction documents to schedule.
- Carried out the checking of shop drawings
- Confirmed the quality of the design drawings and coordination with other disciplines before delivery to the client.